
I saw this book long before but I was hesitant because it looks like a book about war in the Middle East. I bought this book as a gift for my room mate because I saw a lot of reviews that it is good. Kite Runner which was written by Khaled Hosseini is surprisingly good.
The story revolves around two childhood friends Amir and Hassan. At first, I had a lot of questions on my mind that I didn't get why the two boys have a different lifestyle. I don't have any background about Middle East, the culture etc. But the book showed a bit of interesting things.
Somehow, the author described the exact feelings and amazingly you can put yourself in their shoes. It was sad...and you also well up when things go wrong and you ask yourself, "Can this really happen in real life?"
I don't want to spoil the story but one instance I remember, when Amir was describing how he felt whenever Hassan is in the same room with him...he feels that the oxygen inside the room is slowing depleting. A good way to descibre guilt or anxiety. I didn't like how it ended but it goes to show that you don't always have the chance to say you are sorry.
I like the first part of the book but was disappointed on how it ended. It was like a movie type finish. But still, if it didn't end that way, then it would probably be cliche-ish. I watched the film version and I must say, I like the book much better. The actors didn't do well portraying the emotions the character in the book felt. It was bland for me. But at least I got a peek of the culture and also the actual kite flying.
Overall, this is a great book! Four out of five stars.
Kite Runner
Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 8:59 AM Labels: { Book review }
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment